A quick shopping trip to Kroger to get a few things so we could make it through the week before we were leaving.
Kayla shopping like a pro.


Zoe, can we get some more goldfish my cup is almost empty!

We returned from our Florida trip and are trying to readjust to "normal" life again. Our trip started with our direct flight getting canceled and we were booked on a flight connecting through Atlanta. We survived the two flights without any major incidents and made it to grandpa's house (Grandma's house is in KY and Grandpa's house is in FL, per Kayla). This was our third trip to Cape Coral in the last year so we are getting to know the area. We enjoyed the pool, beach, boat, fishing, and a couple little trips. We went to Sanibel Island, the Imaginarium (a kid's museum), and Busch Gardens. The girls really enjoyed the trips and are at a super fun age. Kayla was saving everyone from the crocodiles and snakes (she has a crush on Diego who saves animals on TV). Zoe enjoyed eating local foods (goldfish and sand) and wouldn't even put them down to go in the ocean. The girl likes her food! On the way home both girls took a nap on the way to the airport and were very rambunctious on the flight. They were not screaming, but they didn't want to sit still. There was a little boy sitting behind us and playing peek-a-boo with the girls. Zoe really liked him until he had pringles that he didn't share. She really wanted those chips. Luckily it didn't last long and Zoe fell asleep half way through the flight. It wasn't the ideal flight, but it could have been way worse.
Day 1:
We started our trip with a day of fishing for Steve and I. Steve and I took the boat out to a public reef on Saturday and caught fish! I didn't take any pictures, but we had a successful day. Steve had been out to the reef with a captian/guide a few times and with Lois once. It was my first time saltwater fishing without a guide. We were able to find the reef, mark structure, anchor the boat near where we marked structure and catch fish! Very successful! We were even able to entertain the fisherman around us. I'm sure that they were laughing, but I don't know if they liked the fact the two amateurs were catching the fish. We caught a few small fish and were doing just fine. Then Steve and I are on the same side of the boat and I reel in a line to check the bait. I hear something and the pole in the rod holder between us is now out of the rod holder and in the water. My cat like reflexes kick in and I lunge toward the rod in the water trying to catch it with the rod in my hand. And....I caught it, I told you I had cat like reflexes! I lift the rod up to Steve and he reels in a fish, just the way the pros do it. I'm sure the other fishermen were impressed. Soon after one of Steve's fishing poles starts zinging off line, he starts to reel in and the line breaks. Then I have a hit and it's a nice fish, and a nice fish also hit Steve's other pole at the same time. We are both fighting big fish on opposite sides of the boat. Mine makes a run and is under the boat. Steve gets his fish to the boat and also has my line, and the marker buoy line. I thought I had a nice fish, but I was fighting Steve and his fish so I put my pole in the rod holder and went to help him with his fish. I got the marker buoy line off and then my line off, but wait there is still a tug on my line, I do have a fish! I have the line in my had with a fish on one end, the line under the boat, and my rod in the rod holder on the other side of the boat. I let the line out so tension stays on the line and run a get my my pole. I did get the fish in and we both had gag grouper. They were probably 23"+ which is keeper size, but we did not keep them. I'm sure the fisherman were even more impressed by this second show, but we were the ones catching fish so they can kiss my butt! We did catch fish without incident too, but I thought you would enjoy to hear of our bloopers.
Day 2:
We picked up Nathan from the airport and stopped at goodwill to look for toys for the girls. We ended up finding a Maclaren double umbrella stroller for $40. It was in great shape and everything works. A quick wash and it's as good as new. You'll see Zoe taking naps in it in the pics below so I guess it is comfortable too!
Day 3:
Monday Captain George came with us to try a new spot. After a day of not catching many fish Nathan has finally hooked a big one!
Not a fish, but the sting ray was cool.
We tried to end the day by catching a goliath grouper, but they hide under the bridge pilings and you have to get very close. While we were attempting to catch one the steering on the boat started to act funny. We decided to head home. We were able to trouble shoot and find out it was the power steering assist pump that was not working. It was a known problem with them and an easy fix, but they did not have one in stock so the boat was out of commission the rest of the week.
Dya 4:
While Steve and Lois picked Brad, Beth, Emily and Shaun up from the airport we spent the morning on Sanibel and Captiva Islands. We were going to rent bikes, and a trailer for the girls, but the path looked really bumpy and it kinda looked like rain. We decided to do an early lunch and see what the weather did. When we got done with lunch is was sprinkling. We drove to the end of the island and it was a down pour. There were quite a few people on bikes in the pouring down rain. I'm glad we decided to do lunch first. I would like to bike the nature preserve on Sanibel, but not in a rain storm.
Zoe eating an orange at the bubble room on Captiva Island...wait that isn't an orange, that's a LEMON and the kid loves it! Just like her mom.

Day 5:
Lois and Cathy had taken the girls to the beach during our fishing outing on Saturday. Kayla wasn't so sure at first, but Grandma got her in the water. Zoe has no fear and just ran for the water. She did not want to part with her snack cup so she was snacking on wet goldfish and sand. We all went to Ft. Meyer's Beach on Wednesday with, Beth, Brad, Emily, and Nathan.
Some big waves
Zoe doesn't care if there are big waves; run right in mom or dad will save me! The kid has no fear.
Sand Castles!
A family picture on the pier after a day on the beach.
Day 6:
We took the girls to the Imaginarium in Ft. Meyers which is a children's museum. They had a touch tank with sting rays, horseshoe crabs, a shark, and starfish. They also had an animal lab with local animals, an outdoor pond with fish and swans, and the tots town with toys for kids under 5. They girls played hard and had lots of fun.
Zoe enjoying a nap at the Imaginarium
Poor Zoe can't reach in the touch tank, but she is waiting patiently.
Kayla buying some fruits and vegetables.
Ryan may have gotten a nice picture of some turtle lovin' at the Shedd Aquarium, but check out this picture of the horseshoe crab 3-way in the Imaginarium touch tank!
Zoe enjoying her pasta
Hey Zoe, you have a little sauce on your face!
Day 7:
Another guy's day out fishing. This time it was on George's boat. It was a good day with lots of fish caught. Everyone was catching fish, but I was catching a wide variety of species too. I even caught a bird!
The rat with wings that took my bait and got a hook in the thigh.
A puffer fish. He puffed up, but then became camera shy and didn't want to puff up and have the camera add 10 pounds so this is the best pic I could get.
We ended the day by catching this 100+ pound goalith grouper. Ok so we really ended the day with Steve and I breaking the line twice with our chance at a goalith, but the pictures of the fish are much better than a broken line.
Brad and the goliath
Nathan and the goliath
Day 8:
We made the 2:15 trek to Busch Gardens. We started the day off on the train ride to see the animals. We then made our way to Sesame land for the kids to play. They enjoyed a ride on the airplane and then tried out the splash zone for awhile. After a quick lunch, and nap for Zoe it was back to the rides. Kayla did the tree house coarse while Zoe napped. They both enjoyed the Safari-Go-Round and swings, and Kayla also rode the egg ride.
Grandpa wishing he could fly like the other kids.
Look close, Zoe is in there somewhere.
Grandma's having a good time, Emily's not so sure.
Kayla and I enjoying our flight.
They had this cool window into the future in the splash zone. Kayla stood there and the 2015 version of herself ran out at her.
She had to check out the other side.
Zoe thought it was cool to. She ran up and saw a little boy.
The machine was broken and she bounced off the force field.
Zoe enjoying a quick nap after lunch
Kayla checking out the tree house course with grandma and grandpa.
The Safari-Go-Round was a hit.
Kayla and grandma on their own animals.
Zoe riding with grandpa.
Zoe and grandpa tried the tea cup on the second trip.
Grandma got to ride the tea cup with Kayla and Zoe on the third trip around!
Grandma and Kayla in the egg.
Look no hands!
Kayla and Zoe enjoying the swing... Zoe quickly decided she really didn't like the swing and tried to climb out.
Kayla in the deep end all by herself with her water wings on.
The kids at the pool bar.
Sunday we headed home. Kayla had her own suitcase to pull in the airport. She thought she was the bomb and was strutting her stuff up and down the concourse.
Our little traveler




No comments:
Post a Comment